Financial Support

The University Financial Aid Office handles federal and University loans. The Graduate School of Education's Academic Affairs office handles School tuition fellowships (offered at admission) and travel grants. Questions concerning student loans, loan deferments and other financial aid counseling can be addressed through the University's Graduate Financial Aid Office.

University Financial Aid Office
Montag Hall
355 Galvez Street
1-888 326-3773 or (650) 723-3058

Graduate School of Education
Loida Feliz
Assistant Dean of Admissions and Academic Affairs
(650) 723-0555

Eligibility to Receive Aid

All students receiving funding (loans, fellowships, etc.) must be registered full-time by the University's published quarterly deadlines in order for aid to be disbursed. This means all master's students should enroll in at least 8 units in Autumn, Winter and Spring quarters and 6 units in the Summer quarter in order to be eligible for aid in a given quarter (programs may require more units per quarter, see program requirements). If you intend to take a leave of absence, consult with your lender or the Financial Aid Office if you have loans, and with the Academic Affairs office to understand the implications of the leave on your financial award.

Outside Support

Students are encouraged to actively seek and apply for outside fellowships. Research and teaching assistantships in the Graduate School of Education are limited to doctoral students. However, students may arrange on their own for a research or teaching assistantship in another department at Stanford. Students should ensure that this outside work does not prevent them from keeping up with their program requirements. Students cannot reduce their full-time course load in order to work, except in the case of LDT students who enroll part-time through the Honors Co-op Program.

Paid Internships

Internships may be for pay or course credit, but not both for the same work. Programs that require students to complete an internship may provide additional possibilities for paid opportunities. See the Stanford EdCareers section for further details.

Additional Work

Graduate School of Education students may work for pay as "casual labor" at Stanford for up to eight hours a week, provided it does not adversely impact their academic program.

Travel Fellowships

The School provides travel fellowships to master's students for professional development opportunities. The fellowships are awarded for travel associated with paper presentations at conferences during the student's academic program at the Graduate School of Education. This program cannot support data-gathering expenses or travel expenses not associated with a conference presentation. The maximum award is $300 and students are limited to one travel fellowship per year. Students must provide proof of their participation in a conference and must be registered in the quarter in which funds are awarded. Submit your Travel Fellowship Request Form digitally.

Funding Resources

The Office of Academic Affairs maintains an online page that lists external funding resources for graduate studies in education.

Cardinal Care and Health Insurance Subsidy

Cardinal Care is an annual enrollment insurance plan which includes coverage in summer quarter, whether the student is enrolled that quarter or not. The annual cost of this coverage will be charged over three quarters of the academic year (Autumn, Winter and Spring). Students enrolled in Cardinal Care will be covered during leaves of absence, breaks, and quarters in which they are not registered. The insurance carrier, Health Net of California, will provide the medical benefits and Managed Health Network will administer the mental health benefits.

Enrollment in Cardinal Care is a once-a-year event. In their first registered quarter of the academic year, students will decide whether or not to waive Cardinal Care coverage for that year. International students will be required to enroll in Cardinal Care, but may request an exception if they have an insurance plan with benefits that meet or exceed minimum standards set by the university.

The annual unsubsidized cost of the full Cardinal Care insurance premium for 2023-24, if enrollment begins in Autumn quarter, is $7,128 for single coverage. Stanford University will automatically pay a health insurance subsidy that covers part of the Cardinal Care premium for students who fall into one of categories below and who do not waive Cardinal Care coverage online via Axess.

Health insurance subsidy eligibility and amounts are determined by the criteria below:

  • 100% subsidy for those with a Research of Teaching Assistantship of 25% (10 hours per week) or more, or fellowship providing non-tuition stipend at or above the minimum level for a 25% assistantship.
  • 50% subsidy for those with a Research or Teaching Assistantship of less than 25%, or fellowship providing non-tuition stipend at or above the minimum level for a 10% assistantship.

For more information please visit the Vaden Health Center website.

Emergency and Additional Support Funding

Financial Aid Office Stanford Support Programs

The Financial Aid Office has limited funds available to help graduate students dealing with challenging financial situations. These currently include the Graduate Cash Advance, Family Grant Program, Emergency Grant-in-Aid Funds, the Graduate Student Aid Fund, and Graduate Housing Loans.  Please see below for details.

Graduate Cash Advance

A cash advance is a university resource available to you, as a graduate student, to assist you with expenses before your graduate financial support is posted to your student account and/or Tuition Assistantship (TA)/Resident Assistant (RA) salary is paid. The funds are intended to assist with living expenses, not to pay your university bill. Additional information is available here

Graduate Family Grant Program

As announced by Vice Provost for Graduate Education and Postdoctoral Affairs Patti Gumport in June 2018, Stanford has created a need-based Graduate Family Grant program. The Family Grant will provide up to $20,000 per year per family to eligible graduate students with dependent children. Funds may be used flexibly as needed to cover expenses such as childcare, healthcare, and rent.  Please review the program guidelines before completing the application.

The 2023-24 Graduate Family Grant application is available to all returning and newly admitted graduate students enrolled in a degree program. Links to the program guidelines, frequently asked questions, and the application are available here.

Emergency Grant-In-Aid Funds

Emergency Grant-in-Aid Funds assist graduate students who experience a financial emergency or unanticipated expenses causing financial hardship. This program is designed to assist in situations where the emergency may impede academic progress, and for those who cannot reasonably resolve their financial difficulty through fellowships or loans. Eligibility decisions for professional degree candidates in the Graduate School of Business, School of Law or School of Medicine will be made in consultation with their Financial Aid Office. For more detailed information and application procedures please refer to the Emergency Grant-In-Aid instructions and application form.

Graduate Student Aid Fund

The Graduate Student Aid Fund assists graduate students with health related University fees such as the Campus Health Service Fee and Cardinal Care Insurance premiums when those fees create a significant hardship. Students who demonstrate need will be eligible for a small grant to cover specific charges; the specific amounts are dependent on the individual student situation. Eligibility decisions for professional degree candidates in the Graduate School of Business, Law School, and School of Medicine will be made in consultation with the school's Financial Aid Office. For more detailed information and application procedures, please refer to the Graduate Student Aid Fund instructions and application form.

Graduate Housing Loan

Graduate and professional students who will be living off-campus may apply for loan funds to help with move-in costs, such as first and last month's rent and security deposit. Details on eligibility, loan terms, and application process are available at Graduate Housing Loan.

GSE Student Emergency Funding Program

The GSE Student Emergency Funding Program assists graduate students who experience a financial emergency or unanticipated expenses* causing financial hardship. This program is designed to assist those who cannot reasonably resolve their financial difficulty through fellowships, loans or personal resources

Emergency funding provides grants that reimburse actual expenses. These awards are not a loan, and do not need to be repaid. Emergency funds awarded are tax-reportable income.

Eligible expenses: Unanticipated or unusual expenses (most commonly medical, dental, or legal, but other expenses can be considered) outside of the standard student budget outlined by the University that may hinder the student’s academic progress will be considered.  Costs must have been incurred while enrolled at Stanford, and costs for a previous or future academic year will not be considered.  Each case is considered on its own merits.

*Emergency funding is not intended for tuition or fees, standard living expenses, research-related expenses, travel to and from internship/practicum/research sites and conferences, or when other aid has ceased.

Limit:  up to $2,000 per academic year

Process: Student submits an Emergency Grant-in-Aid application to the Financial Aid Office (FAO). FAO reviews the application and makes the determination that the student is eligible for emergency funds. If FAO is not able to cover your expenses either partially or in-full (max amount of $5,000 per year), then you may apply for GSE Student Emergency Funds by submitting a copy of the Emergency Grant-in-Aid application (include supporting documents) and the response from FAO to Connie Chang, Assistant Dean of Student Affairs. You may receive a max amount of $2,000 in GSE Student Emergency Funds per year.