Stanford University and the Graduate School of Education hold one commencement/diploma ceremony each year. All students who will complete their degree requirements by Summer quarter (August 2019) are invited to participate.
Graduating Students: PhD/MA/STEP
If you expect to complete your degree requirements by the end of Spring quarter, remember to complete the following:
- Apply to Graduate on Axess by April 12, 2019
If you are expecting to complete your degree requirements at the end of Spring quarter, you will need to file an application to graduate via Axess by 5pm on April 12, 2019. If you encounter any difficulties in filing your application via Axess, please contact the Student Services Center.
Late Applications to Graduate: Applications received after April 12 and prior to the late application deadline of June 5 will be assessed a $50 fee. No applications to graduate will be accepted after the late deadline.
Diploma Distribution: Diplomas are distributed once each year at the department ceremonies. When you apply to graduate on Axess, you will be asked to indicate how you wish to receive your diploma: at the department ceremony, at the Student Services Center, or by mail. Please indicate "department ceremony" if you will be participating in the Stanford GSE ceremony. You may use Axess as often as necessary to update your diploma distribution options through June 5.
Complete GSE Diploma Ceremony survey by April 12, 2019
In order to participate in the GSE Diploma ceremony (which follows the Stanford-wide Commencement ceremony) and have your name printed in the program, please complete the GSE Diploma Ceremony survey by April 12, 2019 at 5pm PST.
- For information about ordering your cap, gown and hood go to Stanford's Commencement page. The deadline to order your cap and gown online is April 29, 2019. Students can pick up their orders from the Bookstore (lower level) starting June 7.
You may also order graduation announcements using the same website.
Questions: Stanford Bookstore (650) 329-1217, ext. 8329
Distribution Hours (beginning early June at the lower level of the bookstore):
10am-5pm Monday-Saturday and 11am-5pm Sunday
If you miss the deadline, caps and gowns may be available in person at the bookstore in early June.
Additional Information for PhD Students
- If you've already defended and submitted your dissertation and would like to participate in the Stanford GSE ceremony, please complete the Stanford GSE survey by April 12 at 5pm PST.
- If you plan to defend and submit your dissertation by June 5, please complete the Stanford GSE survey by April 12 at 5pm PST.
- If you plan to defend by June 5 but will not submit your dissertation by June 5, you can walk through the ceremony as long as you have completed your dissertation defense by June 5. You should also submit the Stanford GSE survey by April 12 at 5pm PST. Candidates walking through do not receive a diploma at the Ceremony but a blank diploma cover will be provided and their name will be announced. They are treated the same as graduates for the purposes of the Ceremony.
- If your dissertation title changes after you've submitted the Stanford GSE survey, please contact Kate McKinney.