A Stanford postdoctoral fellow is a trainee in residence at Stanford University pursuing advanced studies beyond the doctoral level in preparation for an independent career. Postdoctoral Scholars are appointed for a limited period of time (minimum stay of 9 months) and may participate on Stanford research projects and/or may be supported by external awards or fellowships. Sponsoring faculty must be active members of the Stanford Academic Council. Prior to beginning the postdoc appointment process, the prospective postdoc must have their diploma in hand or a letter from their university's registrar (not the department) clearly stating that ALL degree requirements have been completed. Sponsoring faculty are responsible to ensure that minimum Stanford funding package for postdoctoral fellows (including salary/stipend and benefits) is met by a Stanford fund or an external award/fellowship.
- (Preferred method) The funding is directed to the GSE as a sponsored project, with a principal investigator (PI) identified, and provides a budget that includes all expenses (salary/stipend, full benefits, postdoctoral registration fee and indirect costs). Please be advised that the cost of benefits can be upwards of 30% of salary/stipend and may depend on the level of coverage.
- In the event that the external source of the funding will only pay the postdoctoral fellow directly, then the funding letter must state the amount of salary/stipend and specify funds that will be used by the postdoctoral fellow to cover full benefits and any other related fees required by Stanford University. Please be advised that the cost of benefits can be upwards of 30% of salary/stipend and may depend on the level of coverage. In cases where the postdoctoral fellow will be paying for his/her benefits, the arrangement must be reviewed and approved by the Office of Postdoctoral Affairs prior to the appointment.
Benefits Given to Postdoctoral Fellows
- Official affiliation with Stanford University (Stanford ID, $20 fee to be paid at ID card office)
- Stanford computer account
- Library privileges
- Medical plan through Blue Shield of CA
- Dental and vision coverage
- Leave benefits
- Use of recreational facilities
- Graduate student housing, only if available after matriculated students are housed
- Access to off-campus housing information
- Audit university courses without fee, subject to permission of the instructor
- If a Postdoctoral Scholar wishes to take courses for credit, the Scholar is responsible for tuition and additional fees.
- Campus parking privileges for a fee (arranged through Parking & Transportation Services)
In all cases, postdoctoral appointments at Stanford are for the purpose of advanced studies and training under the sponsorship of a Stanford faculty member. Individuals interested in postdoctoral study should make their inquiries directly to the faculty with whom there are overlapping research interests. Faculty members are expected to respond to all correspondence regarding possible postdoctoral status, to determine whether the area of interest is appropriate for study at Stanford, and whether there is sufficient office/laboratory space and other resources needed to support the Scholar. Please note that the standard visa for a GSE postdoc is a J-1. Requests for other types of visas will be considered on a case-by-case basis only. If you would like to hire a postdoctoral fellow, please contact Kate McKinney three months in advance of the anticipated start date in order to begin the application process. No appointment is finalized until approved by the Office of Postdoctoral Affairs. More information for faculty can be found here, and more information for postdocs can be found here. See also the Postdoctoral Scholars website for more information, including minimum salary and funding requirements, appointment terms, etc.