Skip to content Skip to navigation

Photo of Stanford Architecture

International FAQ


Is tuition the same for both international and domestic students?

Yes, it is. More information about the cost of our programs can be found at :

Are there any scholarships/funding available for international students?

All admitted students are considered for merit-based fellowships whether or not they are international. Doctoral funding is guaranteed for four academic years for all doctoral students.  More information can be found on our funding page: .

For more information regarding scholarships aimed at international students, please see:  

Additionally we have a list of external fellowships that could be helpful in your search:

What resources are available for international students and their families on campus? Are there opportunities to take language classes?

Here at Stanford we have many opportunities for spouses, significant others and families of our students.

You can view a checklist for newcomers to easily get acquainted with these resources with the support of the Bechtel International Center:

Please see the following link for more information about: language workshops, cooking and workout classes, support groups and all sorts of family-friendly events for those accompanying a student at Stanford University!

Are IELTS scores accepted in place of the TOEFL?

We do not accept IELTS scores in lieu of the TOEFL. TOEFL scores are required for all applicants whose first language is not English unless they meet the following exception: 

Exceptions are granted for those who have earned a U.S. bachelor’s or master’s degree from a college or university accredited by a regional accrediting association in the United States, or the equivalent of either degree from a non-U.S. college or university of recognized standing where all instruction is provided in English. This exception does not apply if the courses were completed in a country where English is spoken but not all instruction is provided in English. If your college or university publishes that courses are offered in both English and the native language you will not be eligible for the TOEFL waiver. English needs to be the only mode of instruction for the entire college or university.

If you do not meet the exception above, you will need to submit TOEFL scores with your application.

If you feel you meet the exception above, please send an email to the Graduate Admissions Office,, titled “TOEFL Waiver Request.” In the body of this email please include the department to which you are applying, your name, the university that you have attended, and the degree date (or anticipated degree date if currently in the program), and the degree that will be awarded. Once your request is processed and a decision has been made you will receive an email from the Graduate Admissions Office indicating if your waiver has been granted.

The minimum TOEFL scores required are 250 for the computer-based test, 600 for the paper-based test and 100 for the internet-based test.

Do recommendation letters and transcripts need to be translated? What counts as an official translation?

Applicants must obtain a certified English translation. All translations must be complete versions of the original records. Upload your transcripts with their accompanying translation as part of your application. Please see the Office of Graduate Admissions website regarding specific information about how to properly submit your international transcripts:

When does the school year start and how early will I be able to enter the U.S.?

Start dates are in mid-September. Please take a look at our Academic Calendar: International students can normally enter the country 30 days before the start of the school year.

What is the minimum level of study required of international applicants from an academic institution outside of the U.S.?

Required academic credential information can be found:

Can international students have paid internships? Can they work on/off-campus?

Employment options for F-1 and J-1 Visa holders can be found at:

Employment regulations and options for F-2 and J-2 Visa holders can be found at:

Please see our Bechtel International Center website for a complete overview of the support for our International Students and their families!

Back to the Top