The STEP application process gives applicants the opportunity to display their full range of experience, education, and enthusiasm for teaching. We carefully review and consider every application.
The online application for the STEP 2018-2019 program is now closed.
1. Application Form
The application process is conducted entirely online through the Office of Graduate Admissions. Please complete and submit Stanford's graduate online application.
Applicants for 2018-19 program will start during the summer quarter of 2018, which is part of Stanford's 2017-18 academic year. Please indicate summer 2017-18 as your application start term.
2. Application Fee
A non-refundable application fee of $125 is required with the submission of the online application. Please visit Graduate Admissions for information on fee waiver eligibility and process.
3. STEP Essay
To complete the STEP application, applicants must write a STEP-specific essay responding to the prompt below.
- In 750-1250 words, please describe your educational background, your experience working with youth, and your interest in teaching.
- Please specify your interest in teaching a particular subject matter area at the secondary level (STEP Secondary, Single-Subject program) or your interest in teaching at the elementary level (STEP Elementary, Multiple-Subject program).
- In addition, explain your views on the role of education in society and your reasons for wanting to enter the teaching profession. Indicate how your strengths, skills, and experiences might contribute to the STEP community.
Personal Statement (Optional)
- Applicants may choose to write an optional second essay answering the general prompt on the online application.
- One or both essays should be submitted electronically with the online application by uploading them into the personal statement section.
- If submitting two essays, please combine them into one document before uploading.
- The essay should be typed, single-spaced, and a maximum of three pages in length.
Resumes are required of all applicants and should be uploaded after the essay(s).
5. Three (3) Letters of Recommendation
- Applicants are required to submit three letters of recommendation.
- The online application will prompt applicants to identify and provide email addresses for their recommenders.
- Applicants should notify recommenders that they will receive an email prompting them to submit their recommendation online.
- The Stanford Graduate School of Education only accepts online recommendations through the application system; Stanford GSE cannot accept mailed, emailed or faxed recommendations.
- The letters of recommendation should speak to an applicant’s commitment to the profession, character, work ethic, academic ability, and general fit for STEP. Instructors, supervisors and colleagues who have observed an applicant’s work with youth are often good choices for writing letters of recommendation.
6. STEP Supplemental Form and Fellowship Application
The STEP supplemental application is required of all applicants. It is included in the online application. If interested in receiving a STEP fellowship, applicants should complete the fellowship section found on the supplemental information form in the online admissions application.
7. College and University Transcripts
To complete the online application, applicants are required to upload transcripts as a PDF document. Transcripts that are mailed, emailed or faxed will not be accepted. Transcripts should be submitted for any institution at which an applicant has studied for at least one year. Upon admission, admitted students will be required to submit official transcripts by mail.
Concerning Course Work Completed in a Study Abroad Program
If the course work and grades are reflected on the transcript from a home institution, it is not necessary to submit original transcripts from the study abroad institution.
Concerning Foreign Institutions
If an institution provides a transcript in a language other than English, applicants must also submit a translation of the transcript that is either provided by the institution or a certified translator.
8. STEP Transcript Summary
In a separate document, applicants must summarize all college course work following the format below. The applicant should include any courses in which they are currently enrolled or plan to take before enrolling in STEP. Please upload this transcript summary along with the transcripts in the online application. This summary does not replace official transcripts.
Please group courses under the following headings:
- Fine Arts (art, drama, music, etc.)
- Foreign Languages, grouped by language
- Humanities (philosophy, religion, speech, etc.)
- Natural Sciences (biological and physical sciences)
- Social Science (history, economics, political science, sociology, psychology, anthropology, geography)
- Other (business, education, physical education, etc.)
Example: Social Science
|Year||Dept. & Course Number||Title||Institution||Units||Grade|
|Aut 08||Poli Sci 183||Criminal Justice||UCSD||5||A|
|Wtr 09||Psych 101||General Psych||UCSD||5||B+|
|Aut 10||Soc 01||Intro Sociology||Scripps||4||B|
|Spr 10||Econ 151||Econ Analysis||Scripps||4||A-|